Happy Halloween! This is one of my favorite holidays as an adult, and it is certainly a fun holiday for the littles. But going out trick-or-treating can be on the dangerous side. Here are some safety tips for having fun on Halloween.
Halloween Trick-or-Treating Safety Tips
Going trick-or-treating can be SO MUCH FUN! It’s fun for kids and can be fun for adults to see all the other fun costumes this year and chat with fellow parents and neighbors. There are also lots of fun alternatives to trick-or-treating that are fun, so check those out.
Here are important safety tips to remember when sending kids trick-or-treating:
Trick or Treating Adult Supervision
- Always have an adult with the kids. There are so many safety concerns and not just traffic-related. Make sure everyone knows how to cross the street safely and hold hands. Make sure they know not to get in a stranger’s car. Be sure to carry flashlights or wear glow items for visibility.
- Know the schedule and route. If you’re not with them, know the route and have the kids (or the adult with them) check in with you during the evening. Have a set time they are expected to be home.
Trick or Treating Neighborhood safety
- Do a search for sex offenders, and know which houses to avoid. Those houses are not allowed to participate in passing out candy or even put up decorations and must have their lights off.
- Avoid houses with their lights turned off. Partly for the reason above but that also is a signal of people not participating and do not wish to be disturbed.
- Never go inside a stranger’s house or car.
Trick or Treating Kid Safety
- Make sure the costumes are safe. The kids should be able to walk freely without getting tangled in their costumes or tripping. Masks shouldn’t obstruct their view. Accessories should not be sharp or dangerous.
- Be careful around lit candles and yard decorations.
- Have the kids eat prior to going out trick or treating so they aren’t tempted to eat the candy before you can look through it.
Don’t forget to label your kids’ trick or treating bags and outerwear so nothing gets lost.
Hope everyone has a great Halloween! We went to a trunk or treat event earlier this month and my little man was an adorable ninja turtle. I’d love to hear all about your costumes and how much fun everyone has!
Join the Working Mom List
Join the Working Mom collective and get support and tools to help you thrive! Subscribers get access to my library of resources and printables.