The holiday season is fast approaching, which means holiday parties at work are being put on everyone’s calendar. What does that mean? It is time to dust off some dessert recipes! Hubby recently had a bake sale at work so, in order to be unique and not bring the same old thing everyone else does, we made an Icebox Eclair dessert. I say we because he sent me a text saying he has to bring this to work and to help him remember, and I was nice and put all the ingredients on the shopping list and reminded him to make it the day before he had to bring it.
This is an overnight recipe to be made the night before and let it cool and set in the refrigerator. Since the baby was enjoying some independent playtime (which I love that he’s finally doing nowadays) I decided to take pictures as we made this, because #blogging.
We start out with some vanilla pudding, milk, whipped topping like Cool Whip, and the best part is chocolate icing (which is apparently not pictured, fail). We make the vanilla pudding in a bowl per package instructions. Then we add some Cool Whip and mix evenly. The Cool Whip should probably be melted a bit so it mixes easier. 20 seconds in the microwave should do it.
We start with making a layer of Graham crackers in a pan and then pour half of the pudding mixture on top and spread it evenly.
Then we layer another row of graham crackers followed by the rest of the pudding.
Then one more layer of graham crackers before the big finish. Microwave the chocolate icing for about 20 seconds to melt it and pour over the final layer of graham crackers. Then spread it around to make it pretty, and you’re done.
Then just let the refrigerator do all the work overnight. Hense the name “icebox” eclair. After hours of cooling, the crackers get soft, the pudding gets gooey, and it tastes absolutely amazing. Sorry, I just gained a few pounds in writing this post.
Ingredients for Icebox Eclair Dessert:
- Graham Crackers
- 2 boxes of instant vanilla pudding
- milk (for making pudding)
- 8 oz cool whip, melted
- Can of milk chocolate icing, melted
Directions for Icebox Eclair Dessert:
- In a casserole dish, make a layer of Graham crackers.
- Make both boxes of instant pudding per directions.
- Add melted Cool Whip to the pudding bowl and mix evenly.
- Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture on top of the Graham cracker layer in the dish and spread evenly.
- Add another layer of Graham crackers.
- Pour the rest of the pudding mixture on top of the Graham crackers and spread evenly.
- Add the final layer of Graham crackers.
- Pour melted icing over the top layer of Graham crackers and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate overnight.