Do you travel for work? Traveling is fun and exciting but requires special planning. Traveling as a mom, especially a working mom, includes extra layers of complication. Here are some must-have items for working moms who travel.
Do you travel for work?
First, let’s clear one thing up. Do you have working mom traveling guilt? Let’s nip that in the bud right away – you are amazing and are doing great by juggling a career and children and you’ll get the hang of balancing work travel and family needs.
Whether it’s your first business trip away from your toddler or you’ve been traveling since you returned to work, keep at it, mama! The business world is full of parents who travel for work and the world keeps spinning! Your kids will be fine, you just enjoy the trip!
Tips for The Traveling Working Mom
TSA Pre-check is amazing! For the annoyance of one appointment, a fee, and a background check you get to breeze by the security lines! The check lasts for 5 years.
- Don’t have to stand in the long line like a peasant (my husband’s words)
- Don’t have to take off shoes or jackets
- Don’t have to pull out your toiletry bag
- Don’t have to remove the laptop from the bag
- No bins! Just put it all on the belt. You do get a small bowl for your small items (keys, phone, etc).
When you’re traveling child-free, a great book is a must for a long flight. I mean, I suppose you can have your laptop out and be working, but travel is stressful enough. Pack your tablet or kindle and load it up with some good reads. Maybe download an audiobook or two and don’t forget your earbuds.
When traveling with children, all of that entertainment becomes super important too. You’ll also need toys and snacks and other activities to keep toddlers busy on an airplane.
Portable WiFi Hotspot
Traveling can mean limited access to the internet. But if you’re always on call, having a portable wifi hotspot is such an important and valuable tool to have. heck out DuoTurbo by GlocalMe.
Dual modem will allow you to have one modem in operation while the other is always on standby to provide backup. This robust function allows WiFi continuity with seamless 4G failover. Together with CloudSIM technology, supporting pay-as-you-go, multiple network best connection and roaming free services, DuoTurbo reduces the risk of dropped connections and gives you the comfort of having that added security at home or on the go.
Travel tends to be uncomfortable. Having items that help improve your comfort levels are important. This could include an airplane blanket or heck bring a snuggie!
A travel pillow is also a must.
While you’re at it, don’t forget to bring a refillable water bottle that you can fill up after security.
Return Reward Tags for lost items
Did you know?
- In the US alone, 12K laptops are lost weekly in airports (according to Computer Science Zone).
- The most commonly forgotten items in an Uber are your phone, camera, wallet, keys, purse/backpack, glasses, and ID/license (per Uber’s 2019 Lost and Found Index) —all of which can be protected by discrete and virtually weightless SPEECHEE Return Reward Labels.
I’m partnering with SPEECHEE to help us all out with that travel mental load and relief. I always wonder, what if I accidentally leave this behind somewhere? Or my child does? Hey – everyone loses things.
SPEECHEE’s Return Reward Tags are sleek, virtually weightless labels that you can place on any important item and register with the free app, providing peace of mind that your item can be found should you misplace it. Whoever finds it can send a picture of the label to the number provided, you’ll be notified, and then you can reward them for finding it.
Use my code Getjulie10 to get 10% off!
A fabulous travel tote is a must for working moms. You need to be able to store your laptop, the essentials, maybe a change of shoes? We recommend the Ella Tote by MinkeeBlue, a large travel/work bag made of nylon and vegan leather.
- Folding panel transforms bag
- Key fob
- Back slip panel for handles of suitcases
- Expandable side pockets for water bottle, umbrella, phone
- Two inside patch pockets
- One inside zipper pocket
- Top back zipper
- Padded inside slip pocket fits up to 15″ laptop
- Protective metal feet
- Two points of entry to access bag contents
For the working mom who travels for work, a great carry-on suitcase is a must! And when traveling with family, it is definitely helpful to have a separate suitcase for kids!
Chester was created to meet the needs of the modern traveler and make the journey better for all. Chester offers a beautiful, high-quality, and functional carry-on at a fair price.
- Sleek 100% polycarbonate hardshell to balance durability, flexibility, and weight (7 lbs)
- Perfectly sized (21.5” x 13.5” x 8.5”) to fit overhead bins of all airlines and 3-to-5 outfits
- Thoughtful compartments, featuring three interior organizers and removable laundry bag
- Four silent, multi-directional wheels for a smooth roll in any direction on any terrain
- TSA-approved lock to ensure safe belongings
- 100% aluminum telescoping ergonomic handle with two lock positions
- 10-year warranty
- Seven colors: Black, Ocean Blue, Sky Blue, Charcoal Grey, Aluminum Grey, Sand, Pink
Use my code FWML at checkout to get a 10% discount!
RFID Travel Wallet
The Zoppen Mulit-purpose Rfid Blocking Travel Passport Wallet is a lovely option for both travel and everyday use. It folds up nicely and can fit many important documents. And you know us Moms carry a lot of cards and items in our wallet!
- RFID blocking shield material under frequency 13.56 Mhz – protect your personal information
- The wallet organization consists of 1 passport pocket, 1 boarding pass compartment, 3 credit cards slots, 1 ID slot, 1 sim card pouch, 1 coupon ticket slot, 1 cellphone pouch (max 5.8 inches), 1 money & coins zippered pocket, 1 key holder and 1 pen holder, 1 slim pocket
- Made from high-quality ECO-Friendly PU leather
- Trifold closure
- Vintage looking, Chic style, Multi-functional design, Soft, comes in various colors
Compression socks are a must for travel! They keep your circulation going and help avoid the pain and discomfort caused by long trips.COMRAD | Premium and Stylish Compression Socks for Multipurpose Wear
- Improve and boost circulation – graduated compression technology (15-25mmHg) provides the ideal compression to provide the maximum boost to your blood circulation and increase stamina. This helps reduce lactic acid build-up and aids muscle recovery in your calf, ankle, shins, feet, and legs.
- Multi-use – Travel, Pregnancy, Athletics, Recovery, Business, and Casual!
- Anti-Odor and Anti-Static – Comrad’s unique fabric stops the growth of bacteria and fungus, while wicking moisture/sweat away from your feet. Deodorizes and keeps you dry.
- Prevent/Recover from Circulator Issues – Designed to support blood flow and muscle fatigue. Get the relief you need while increasing energy, preventing swelling, or recovering from shin splints, varicose veins, and other common medical issues.
Scarf with Secret compartment
Shop Pop Fashion – Chevron Scarf for Women – Zipper Pocket Storage for Phone and Keys is great for traveling moms. Since we all know women’s clothing is lacking in the pockets department, this keeps all your important possessions safe and close, without overflowing your tiny pockets or being obvious.
- This zipper scarf features a white hidden pocket to carry all the essentials making it the best selling clothing accessory for any woman on the go!
- Carry all the necessities including passport, money, keys, cell phone, or wallet.
First Aid Kit
When traveling, it is always a good idea to have emergency supplies on hand. Of course, it is vital to bring your medication on any travel so you don’t lapse. But it is also important to have other supplies should there be an injury or illness while away from home.
These bicycle first aid kits from SJ Works are a great option for travel as well since they are sleek and can fit in a suitcase well. Always good to be prepared.
Masks, because we’re still in a Pandemic
Pandemic life is weird. Things are opening up but it’s still germy out there. The best way to keep each other safe is to wear face masks, to keep from releasing sickness droplets while we’re talking and breathing. Because many carriers are asymptomatic, you might be sharing the virus with your fellow working moms on an airplane. So wear your masks and show kindness to others.
They also have kids masks!
What other travel must-haves can you share with us? Drop a comment!