The Best Smoked Salmon Tarts Recipe – Health, Taste, and Nutrition – All-in-One
We’ve all licked our fingers over the fine taste of salmon. We just can’t get enough of it. As tasty as it is, it is full of nutrition and health benefits, which makes it even more mouth-watering. Science has proved that fish, which is high in fat content, is a necessary element to improve our health.
Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a healthy fat that is the main foundation of nerve tissue and brain cells. Before going into the exact nutritional value of salmon, first, let us share the procedure of cooking a smoked salmon tart.
Ingredients for Smoked Salmon Tart
The ingredients you need are:
- 9 ounces of cream cheese, which should be at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 sheets of frozen ready-rolled pastry, which has to be thawed carefully
- 5 ounces of salmon, thawed at room temperature, smoked into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons caper to be rinsed properly
- Dill sprigs to add the final touch
The Cooking Process
Once you have gathered all the ingredients you can start the cooking process as explained below:
- Set the temperature of your oven at 410 degrees Fahrenheit and start preheating it. While the oven preheats, you can take a bowl and combine the cream cheese, both mustards, and dill in the food processor. You can sprinkle the lemon juice on the top and start the food processor. Wait until the mixture is combined properly and it gives a smooth texture with no lumps. Remove the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.
- Spread baking paper on two large baking trays and slice four approximate 3.5-inch rounds from each sheet of puff pastry with the help of a biscuit cutter. Place these rounds on the lined baking trays and prick these pastries with a fork to allow air to go inside them. Cover this with a plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- After removing the pastries from the refrigerator, put one tray of the pastry in the oven and bake it for 7 minutes. Repeat with the other tray. After removing it from the oven, you will notice that the center of the pastry has risen. Pat this with the spoon and bake it until the color changes to golden. Remove it from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool down.
- While the pastry cools down, you can smoke the salmon with brine or a smoker to cook the inside properly. If you purchased commercially smoked salmon, you don’t need to cook it. The smoking process used already cooked it. You can glaze it with honey for an added flavor as this way the salmon tastes very delicious with the cream cheese.
- Now take the mixture of cream cheese prepared earlier and spread it all over the pastry, leaving a tiny border in between. Place the salmon on the top. Garnish it with the sprig dill. Your dish ready to serve.
This smoked salmon tart recipe takes around 1.5 to 2 hours to cook and can serve up to 24 tarts.
Health Benefits of Smoked Salmon Tarts
You can have mouth-watering smoked salmon tarts in no time. This recipe allows you to take advantage of all the nutrients of the salmon as it is smoked and also the delicious taste of the cream cheese. It is not only tasty but also a healthy and nutritious snack.
The health benefits of salmon include:
- Maintains Blood Pressure: It reduces blood pressure by providing the necessary nutrients to the blood for proper circulation which also reduces the risk of cardiac problems. It is important for those who are at risk and have a history of heart problems as the fatty acid omega-3 helps in the circulation of blood. According to some doctors, salmon should be consumed twice a week.
- Weight Reduction: Fitness experts highly recommend salmon to lose weight. These are widely available in all restaurants and can be served as an appetizer or the main course. If you are on a mission to lose weight, then you don’t have to eat all greens and can award yourself this pretty pink treat. It is very rich in protein and healthy fats which makes salmon the ideal food for a person on a diet as it has very minimal calories as compared to its nutritional value.
- Reduces Joint Pains: It is also recommended for people experiencing joint pain as it reduces inflammation around the joint and helps to relieve the pain by the contribution of the omega-3 acids and it reacts with the inflammation and cools down the nerve causing it.
Nutritional Information of Smoked Salmon
The nutrients consumed vary according to the type of smoke salmon consumed. The smoking does affect the salt content in salmon, but the basic nutrients remain intact. Given below are the nutrients of an 85gms of smoked salmon that is around 3-4 pieces.
|Nutrition||Quantity (ounces)||Percentage Value|
|Calories obtained from fat||60|
As you can see from the above chart, a cooked salmon possesses a very high content of protein and vitamins with fewer calories. When paired with the cream cheese recipe mentioned above it will not only give the best benefits of a smoked salmon but a very delicious snack.
This is a dieter’s paradise and also removes the risk of various health problems. So don’t wait any further and try this recipe to get the complete package of taste, health, and nutrition.
Hi, I’m Susan Conley, a family woman and creator of Simple Healthy Family. I know you’re here because of your love of cooking and I really appreciate that. Formerly called Cooking the stone, Simple Healthy Family blog is created to please my deep love for food and share the incredible knowledge I have had during my lifetime.