We’re in summer like no other we’ve seen before. It has been going on for months it seems, and schools in the fall are uncertain. So with all this time at home making kids go crazy, let’s keep planning on fun summer activities to do.
If you’re looking for fun summer activities for June and July, I got you covered! Here’s your summer bucket list!
Why would you want to look for fun things to do for the summer? Well, your kids just probably finished a crazy school year (virtual for most) or have been cooped up indoors with all the things being closed. Summer provides warm temperatures, great long days, and lots of opportunities to have some relaxing and exciting times. For us working parents that means packing the weekends full of fun summer plans, and even have time for something in the evenings, too. So let’s find some great and fun summer activities for kids at home and outside, and that includes toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age kids too!
Fun Summer Activities For Kids
- Live on the coast? Beach time! Beaches are great sensory input for kids (running/walking on sand, splashing, jumping in waves). Here’s how to pack for a beach day with a toddler.
- Play with sand (sandpit or beach) and make fun shapes – also fun is to use kinetic sand.
- Create with play dough
- Swimming pool (even a tiny kiddie pool in your yard).
- Sprinklers! Bonus points if you get a fun inflatable sprinkler – like this unicorn one.
- Slip n slide anyone?
- Get a water table, if you don’t have space for the big water toys. Great way to cool off for the littles.
- Water balloon fight. Or squirt-gun fight.
- Go on a hike or walk trails.
- Go on a nature walk and collect some nature treasures for crafts.
- Fly a kite.
- Make an ocean-themed sensory bin.
- Go camping. Doesn’t have to be in the field – can do it in your backyard.
- Go to a drive-in movie theater.
- Make a movie night in your own backyard. Great if you have a projector or if you can move your living room TV.
- Go on a bike ride. Or a trike ride.
- Color. Draw. Grab coloring books or just sketch something. Or paint.
- Do an indoor scavenger hunt.
- Pack a picnic and have lunch outdoors.
- Cook a meal as a family.
- Make popsicles.
- Visit a state or national park. Or a botanical garden.
- Watch the sunset. Or sunrise. Or both.
- Read books together.
- Go fishing.
- Family dance-off.
- Do Cosmic Kids Yoga.
- Play board games.
- Plan a fun day out for your dog.
- Start a garden or grow something from a seedling in a pot.
- Or build a fairy garden!
- Virtual summer camps!
- Teach kids to do new chores.
- Create a weekly family theme night.
- Blow bubbles – try these super-strong bubbles.
- Wash the car – like actually with the hose and soft sponges – fun play for kids
- Visit a local farm and pick some fruit.
- Make homemade lemonade or other fun summer drinks for kids.
- Watch the stars at night, since nights are warmer now stargazing is more fun.
- Go to the zoo.
- Do some random acts of kindness.
- Play with a beach ball.
So if you’re wondering what are good summer activities you can do inside or outside this summer at home, enjoy this list! It will provide you with daily ideas for fun for the summer activities for kids!