I am enjoying interviewing professionals and mom bosses about their line of work or their side hustles. Today I am sharing an interview with Village Craft & Candle, a wholesale supplier of high-quality candle-making supplies.
Tell us about yourself and Village Craft & Candle. We love an introduction.
Village Craft & Candle (VCC) is an 18 year old company that has evolved from an idea to supporting many creative entrepreneurs with their crafting and candle making journey. Our focus is to provide an end to end solution for candle makers to confidently source your supplies, learn from our resource centre, speak to an expert and even obtain other business tools needed to make your company whole such as insurance, accounting, classes from one of our many reliable resource partners.
What inspired you to launch a wholesale supplier of candle making supplies?
There was a gap in the industry where makers were only able to shop from the few retailers that supported the craft. It made it difficult to expand, diversify or buy at feasible rates without committing to the larger minimum volume requirements.
Share your goals and mantra of your biz.
What makes candle-making a good business for moms? How does Village Craft & Candle help moms start their business?
View this post on Instagram
How would one get started with a candle-making business?
– Determine who your market can be and the price points you would have to be at that your market will support
– Work backwards from there to identify the products you would need, pricing for those and the cost to run your gig to make it profitable.
– Be proud, confident and excited as this journey is yours. Make it yours the whole time as brands are more respected when it has a clear identity.
– At VCC, we have a team that can walk you through the biz set up and the products you would need to get started, trends to follow, tools to make your business run efficiently as well as the ongoing support for when you grow like crazy.
What are some of your favorite things about running your business?
What are some challenges you ran into when starting your business?
-Developing a unique brand: With so many candle makers in the market, it can be challenging to create a unique brand that stands out. You’ll need to find your niche and develop a branding strategy that resonates with your target audience.
– Setting competitive prices: It can be tough to set prices that are competitive while still allowing you to make a profit. You’ll need to research your competitors and their prices, and then determine a pricing strategy that works for your business.These are just a few of the challenges encountered when starting a candle making business. However, with careful planning and persistence, you can overcome these challenges and build a successful business.
Here’s a great video sharing how to be successful in your candle making journey.
They also have a series of articles to help you start your biz.
- Candle Making Spring & Summer Trends 2023
- How to Price Your Candles
- Candle Making Business Insurance Explained
If you would like to be interviewed for my side hustle series, please fill out this form.
For a full list of side-hustles and business ideas you can start, check out my post: 31+ Side Hustle Ideas for Moms to earn Money from Home and Pay Down Debt
Join the Working Mom List
Join the Working Mom collective and get support and tools to help you thrive! Subscribers get access to my library of resources and printables.