Do you follow the tradition of sending Holiday cards? I’ve been sending them to friends and family for years, but this is the first year we’ve done a formal photo card.
The tradition is a bit curious; here are some facts:
- Americans send 1.6 billion holiday cards annually (and women purchase approximately 80% of all greeting cards) [source]
- E-cards have become an environmentally friendly alternative to paper cards [source]
- Christmas cards originated in London, where Sir Henry Cole commissioned the first in 1843. [Source]
- Despite the separation of church and state, it’s customary for the President and First Lady to send White House Christmas cards each holiday season. [source]
- Calvin Coolidge issued the first official Christmas message to the American people in 1927. [source]
Who do you typically send these cards to? Just family? Special friends? Bosses and coworkers?
I thought it would be fun to share this Infographic from Grammarly.com.