Packing List for a Beach Trip with a Toddler
Below is the ultimate packing list for your first beach trip with your toddler.
- Swimsuit and also a shirt that covers his shoulders. Didn’t want to risk any sunburns.
- Baby sunblock.
- Swim diapersto wear under the suit.
- Regular diapers. Wipes. Regular diaper bag essentials.
- A change of clothes. Ok, I packed several changes of clothes.
- A hat. Very important of course, and I love his “Texas makes me happy” hat.
- Sunglasses, though he didn’t use them. One day I’ll get him to wear them.
- Umbrella for shade. It is HOT now in Texas, so shade was necessary.
- Drinks. I melted down some Pedialyte pops and mixed them with water in his sippy cups, so I knew he would have extra hydration. And then I brought extra water.
- Snacks. I did well on this one. I packed some Gerber Lil’ Beanies since I know he loves them (and I am a fan of their nutritional value) as well as crackers and some squeeze packages.
- Beach toys, though he didn’t touch them.
- Towel and wrap to lay on.
Obviously, I had to pack for myself, too, so I ended up with two bags total, plus the cooler (crackers and Gerber snacks for the toddler, water, and a sandwich and fruit for me) and umbrella. Yea my hands were full.
How did we do in our preparation for the beach day?
I’m happy to report I did quite well in my planning and didn’t end up wishing I had something with me that I had forgotten. I almost forgot a pair of sunglasses for myself but remembered at the last minute. That would not have been good, as I don’t want to use my prescription sunglasses where they can get scratched or broken – those stay in the car for driving only.
The little guy loved the ocean. He loved to splash and run around the beach, and made the cutest faces if he tasted the salt water as it sprayed him. He didn’t care for the sand, though. I put a handful in his open palms, and he gave it back to me, and that was that. Maybe he’ll play with buckets and build sand castles another time.
I was so pleased that I grabbed the Gerber Lil’ Beanies (the White Cheddar and Broccoli flavor) at Walmart (in the baby isle) before our trip. My original reasoning to bring these was the nutritional value (the snack is made from beans so contains protein and fiber in each serving) and the ease of feeding (since he can easily feed himself without my help and without making a mess). Baby H ended up devouring an entire container after his first time playing in the ocean. I couldn’t get it out of his hands without him getting all upset! But that worked well since it helped him sit still for a long time – he even sat quietly snacking on the bench while I cleaned up and changed! That was a total mom win!
Have you tried the Gerber Lil’ Beanies with your Toddler? They come in two flavors, the White Cheddar and Broccoli that I prefer, and the Original. Pick them up at your local Walmart for your next summer outing with your tot.
Be sure to share your beach packing tips with me and let me know if I left something out, so I’ll be even better prepared next time.