Wait a minute, did your little guy just manage to stand holding the chair?
He might have tumbled on his diaper after two seconds but that act of courage did ring a bell. Your baby is outgrowing the fences you created.
We have compiled the best tips to help your baby walk independently.
How to help baby walk sooner – 5 fun tips
Here is the list of things you could follow to give your baby a firm footing:
# Tip 1: Start Early
Your baby might be of few pounds but still that weight is too much for their tiny feet. If your baby hopes to stand on those dumpling-like legs, they need to have strong leg muscles.
- Now instead of getting a gym membership, read ahead. You can hold your baby upright so that they can balance on their feet.
- You might have seen videos of babies trying to squat on their tiny feet. You just dropped a heart in the comments, awed by the adorable clip. Now, look at the clip objectively. That exercise can help them in getting used to the sensation.
However, don’t overdo it. Their tiny muscles are not ready for the pressure yet. Acquaint them to the ground once in a while.
# Tip 2: No Shoes
You might have bought a collection of cute pairs of footwear for every occasion for your baby. But should babies wear shoes when learning to walk? Studies prove that your baby is better off barefoot. Babies rely on their senses to walk.
- They need to feel the surface to have a better grip and balance.
- Leave them barefoot for most of the day, making them familiar with different surfaces. Different surfaces require different muscles to get you upright.
- Bare feet help baby brain development.
Now that you have read it, you understand the basics of body balance. Conveying this to your baby is a different matter altogether. Let them learn it on their own. Let them explore this sensation and have their way with the ground.
# Tip 3: Cheer Squad
Your baby might be a Rockstar someday but as of now, you are the only cheerleaders they have. Encourage them with little treats and claps.
- They are not familiar with the words but they do pick up the cheerful vibe you throw when your baby takes an independent step.
- No matter how small they are, they will do everything in their tiny hands to make their parents proud.
- A little sweet treat will motivate them to take one more step towards you. Give them the attention, let them have a sense of accomplishment.
Support them in their tiny steps, that’s what parents do.
# Tip 4: Prepare the track
You might wonder, how to trick your baby into walking? You can never force your baby to walk. Then how will you figure out how to help baby walk sooner?
Simple, just prepare the track for them. If your favorite dessert is placed on a table at the other end of the room? You will still walk to it.
- Place their favorite toys on different furniture at a uniform distance.
- Don’t widen the gap as it will be tiring for them.
- Let them walk to their toys one by one. One checkpoint at a time, one toy at a time. You can be creative with the layout.
Don’t just sit back, follow your baby as they make their way to the finish line.
# Tip 5: Make it fun
This might contradict one of our previous tips but you can do it after a couple of months.
- Get them the squeaking shoes. The different sounds will encourage them to take more steps.
- Some babies prefer barefoot instead of footwear. You can tie jingle bells in their feet for a similar experience.
- As a parent, the sounds will be music to your ears when your baby will make a move. These tiny things can lure your baby to step up.
Final thoughts on the best things to help baby walk
Parents support their babies in every aspect of their life. Especially when your little cub is learning to walk. Don’t let them rely on you for every little thing in their life but stay behind them whenever they lose footing.
Never let fear stop them from moving forward.
Join the Working Mom List
Join the Working Mom collective and get support and tools to help you thrive! Subscribers get access to my library of resources and printables.