Today I have a great learning activity to share. What I like about this activity is it can be adapted for one child or a playgroup. You can do it with numbers, shapes, colors, and any combination you can think of. Just a bit of chalk and let the child who is just learning the names of these shapes or numbers run around and burn some energy while learning.
Run Around the Numbers Preschool Activity
Get ready to play with numbers outdoors! Your child will actively build a strong math foundation while playing outdoors. This game is also an excellent way to help kids learn how to follow directions effectively. Grab some chalk, do some preliminary stretches and start memorizing those numbers.
What You Need:
- Paved outdoor area
- Colored sidewalk chalk
What You Do:
- Ask the players to spread out and assign them a number to write in chalk on the pavement. Make sure they make the numbers large enough so they can be seen from a distance and far enough away from one another that they don’t collide while running to their numbers!
- Explain that you will shout out a number randomly. When the players hear it, they need to dash to the number and stand on top of it.
- Tell them to stand on that number until you call out the next number.
- If players get to the number first, have them cheer on their friends until they find their own numbers.
- After the players get comfortable with the game, switch it up a bit and have one of the kids call out the numbers. Or, trade out the numbers for colors or shapes.
Education.com aims to empower parents, teachers, and homeschoolers to help their children build essential skills and excel. With over 12 million members, Education.com provides educators of all kinds with high-quality learning resources, including worksheets, lesson plans, digital games, an online guided learning platform, and more.
Join the Working Mom List
Join the Working Mom collective and get support and tools to help you thrive! Subscribers get access to my library of resources and printables.