I was hired by The Women Bloggers/Megaphone Influence on behalf of Riceland Foods to participate in this #ProntoPerfectRice campaign. Opinions are mine.
Your stomach growls and you can almost taste a yummy meal as you drive home after a long day at the office. Dinner is definitely on your mind as you sit in traffic. The end of the day means hungry mouths to feed, including your own, and patience for cooking a complicated meal is just nonexistent. You check the fridge for leftovers, but then remember you packed those for your lunches. What do you do now? This is when having some quick and tasty family favorite meals in your recipe toolbelt is vital.
Rice is a staple at our house – we love it and use it in most meals. I love to add it to my tacos or burritos, and I love even more to use it as a bed for a delicious meat dish. One of my toolbelt family favorite meals is salsafied chicken and rice (a perfect meal for a Texan). Rice and chicken, as well as salsa, are the backbones, but we can tweak any other ingredients as we wish to make a fun spin on one of our classics.
A huge reason why I love the “salsafied chicken and rice” dish is the time it takes to prepare it. How long does it take? Very little time at all! This busy working mom doesn’t have the ability to create complicated dishes that take forever to prepare – I go for the quick win and make easy meals for us to enjoy. Plus, my toddler loves rice dishes, and I know this is something he will actually eat (as opposed to, you know, tossing it on the floor).
That is why I love the Riceland Boil-in-Bag Rice. It cooks for only 10 minutes, while still containing the healthy ingredients we love to see in rice. While the rice is cooking I can prepare the rest of the meal, then mix and serve. This particular time I made a huge batch so we could easily freeze some for later meals. Ready for the recipe?
Ingredients for Salsafied Chicken and Rice
- Olive Oil
- Riceland Boil-in-Bag whole grain brown rice, 2 bags
- Chicken, 1 lb
- Black Beans, can, drained
- Corn, can, drained
- Peas, can, drained
- Salsa, 1 jar
Directions for Salsafied Chicken and Rice
- Place the bags of rice in water – all the way submerged in the pot. Set it on high heat and after it starts to boil, set a timer for 10 minutes.
- While the water and rice are getting ready to boil, cut up the chicken into bite-size pieces. Open the canned food and drain.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the chicken in some olive oil in a large skillet. Just toss it around until the meat turns white.
- Add canned black beans, corn, and peas into the pan with the chicken and keep stirring around.
- When the rice is done (remember, just 10 minutes), grab the bags with tongs, cut the edge and pour into pan with chicken and vegetables. You can turn the heat off here.
- Dump jar of salsa onto the pan with chicken, rice, and vegetables, and mix thoroughly.
I love that Riceland rice is grown by family farms with a passion for their product. It is wonderful to support small, local farms and enjoy a healthy meal at the same time.
Riceland Boil-in-Bag Rice is available at HEB (and you know I love my HEB – just one of the great things about living in Texas). Enter below to win some Riceland swag and a gift card! Then go grab a box and start cooking. Let me know what recipes you come up with; I’d love to add more quick and yummy dishes to my toolbelt.
Join the Working Mom List
Join the Working Mom collective and get support and tools to help you thrive! Subscribers get access to my library of resources and printables.