The internet is filled with amazing DIY projects, and you can make absolutely everything if you have the skills and will. But, before you start making your own bookshelf, I suggest you start with something simple, like games for your kids. Kids love to participate in a DIY projects, and that is the perfect way to teach your kids that they can make something from scratch. I want to share with you one simple project, which is easy to make and you can do with your kids. One bonus: everything you need you already have at home.
DIY Project: Foosball game for your kids
Things you will need:
- 1 cardboard box (preferably shoebox, but not necessarily)
- 6 – 8 big plastic straws and wooden dowels (the number depends on the size of the chosen box)
- 10 or more clothespins(the number depends on the number of straws)
- A ping pong ball (or any other plastic ball similar size)
- Glue and clear tape
- Utility knife, a marker, and a ruler
How to make your foosball table?
1. The first step should be to choose the box and cut the holes and rectangles on the box. On shorter sides of the box cut rectangles big enough for a ping pong ball. Center the rectangles because those are goals on each side of the foosball field. Now, we have to look at the longer side of the box. If it is a regular shoebox, three holes on each side are enough, but if it is bigger than that, add one more hole on each side. Make sure that the size of the hole is big enough for the big plastic straw and make sure that the holes have the same distance. Those holes are for the rods which we will make later.
2. Now that the box is finished you can give it to your kids, who can decorate it. They can color the outside and the walls from the inside, but keep in mind that they should use one color on the inside. A good idea is to paint one goal with one color and the second goal differently because that way you can use those two colors as the main colors of each team.
3. Now that the box (foosball field) is done, we can go to the rods. The rods are made from two parts – plastic straws and wooden dowels. First, take one straw and put as many wooden dowels as you can because we need the rod to be stable. Then fix the wooden dowels with clear tape and put them in the straw. Fill each end of the straw with the glue and let it dry. The number of rods should be the same as the number of holes on one side of the box.
4. The last step is actually the most important because now we will make foosball players. The only thing we didn’t use on our list is clothespins because those will be the players. Depending on the number of rods, spread the players across each rod. You can put two players on each rod, but only one player on both rods which are close to goals – those are goalies. If you have a bigger box, you can put three players on each rod in the middle of the box (instead of 2).
Now, put the shoebox on the table, take few steps back and look at your project! You are now the proud owner of a small and portable foosball table. The only thing you should do now is to give the table to your children and watch them enjoy the game.
Mark is a foosball player who has a blog where he writes about his passion – foosball. On his blog, you can find everything one foosball player needs to know. To visit his blog, visit Foosball Zone.