Daily journaling is a wonderful habit that can transform your life if you let it. A fresh year gives you the opportunity to journal your ideas, hopes, dreams, resolutions, and think through anything that will make your life happier in the upcoming year.
In this journal, you’ll find 31 prompts to inspire your inner self. You can work through the prompts in chronological order or if you prefer, skip around.
Pick a topic that appeals to you and go for it.
Self-discovery journal prompts
Consider these journaling prompts to discover what will bring you happiness and joy in the new year:
The Journal Prompts
- Where would you like to travel to? (This can be as complex as traveling to a different country or as simple as exploring a state park.)
- In what areas of your life, will you challenge yourself? Are there skills you want to develop or a talent you want to hone even more?
- What new foods do you want to try? Do you want to perfect your sugar cookie recipe, make delicious smoothies, or explore bold cuisines?
- What would you like to learn in the New Year? (Are there other cultures you’ve always wanted to study? Are there advanced classes you want to attend?)
- How will your life be different this year? Are there some big changes you’d like to make?
- What would you like to stay the same? Are there areas in your life you’re already really happy with and don’t want to change?
- Consider projects you’ll start this year. Why do you want to work on these projects?
- Are there new hobbies would you like to take up? Why do you want to pursue them?
- What 3 things do you most want to accomplish in the New Year? How will you make space to honor these goals?
- Who do you want to meet this year? Make a list of 3-5 people. Think about why you chose each person specifically.
- Imagine getting to build a dream team so your life and business flow smoothly and easily. What would that look like?
- Who would you like to bless in the New Year? Try to list 3-7 people that you’d love to pour into!
- Think about the people you listed earlier. How will you bless each person on your list?
- Looking ahead, who could you mentor in the coming months? This can be someone you want to mentor personally or professionally.
- Think about your own life. Is there someone who took the time to mentor you when you really needed it? How can you thank that person?
- What would you like to let go of and leave in your past? (Maybe an old relationship that’s dragging you down or a painful secret you’ve been carrying.)
- What books have you read over the last year that made an impact on your life?
- Are there areas in your heart, mind, or body where you need healing? Is there someone in your life that would walk this journey with you?
- Is there clutter in your home or office that you’d like to let go of? What could you donate that someone else might love and treasure?
- Are you consuming negative content online and on social media? How could you limit your exposure to this content in the New Year?
- What charities or organizations would you like to donate to in the coming months? Think about how you’d like to donate. You can give of your time, your energy, your money, or your skills.
- What self-limiting beliefs will you cast off in the New Year? A self-limiting belief keeps you stuck where you are (e.g. thinking: I’m bad with money, I have no talent, or I can’t work a job I love).
- What’s a new mantra you’ll use to replace a self-limiting belief? For example, I’m smart with my money, I am a talented writer with a gift to share, or I can create a job I love.
- Are there new routines you’d like to establish? Think about habits you’d like to replace with better or healthier ones.
- What books do you want to read in the New Year?
- What brings you joy? How can you fit MORE of it into your daily life?
- If you had to pick one word, to sum up the past year, what word would you choose? Describe why you chose that word.
- What one word would you choose to be your anchor for the upcoming year? What does living out this word look like to you?
- How will you use your word of the year to shape your decisions in the coming weeks?
- Who could you share your word for the year with?
- Where will you display your word of the year so you’ll see it often and be reminded to lean into it?
Grab an editable journal prompt from my subscriber library by signing up below!
Join the Working Mom Tribe
Join the Working Mom Tribe and get support and tools to help you thrive! Tribe members get access to my library of resources and printables.
For the next 31 days, you’re invited on a journey to discover who you are, explore new dreams, and design your next big adventure.