Well my 12 weeks of maternity are over now and it is time to return to work. I have very mixed feelings about this. Yes, I enjoy my job and the people I work with, and yes I need the paycheck obviously. But, there are things about being home with my baby that I am definitely going to miss.
- I’m going to miss our morning snuggles. After my husband (aka Elbows) left for work in the mornings, I would bring Baby H into bed and nurse nap with him. He is incredibly snuggly.
- I’m going to miss going for walks when the sun is out. Unfortunately, business hours means I’m away while the sun is up. So now I’ll only be able to take him for walks in the stroller on weekends since it is pitch black by the time I come home (thank you winter, go away already). I am looking forward to the summer months when the sun will still be up when I get home, and maybe we can do a quick stroll around the neighborhood.
- Our nursing relationship will change. Obviously it is so much more pleasant to nurse a sweet baby than to express breast milk via pump whenever I can get away at work. But, at least I’ll still be giving him some of the good stuff with all my immunities.
- Missing out on firsts. Well, unless he saves his firsts for weekends or evenings, it is likely that our nanny will see many of his firsts. But, I guess that means he gets to practice them before showing them off to me.
- I’m just going to miss being with him all day. Coming home in the evening hours means I only get a few hours with him before bedtime. But at least bath time is all mine (well, and hubby’s).
Even though this will be hard, I’m sure work will keep me busy and distracted enough so that I don’t constantly think about how much I miss the little guy. No mommy guilt allowed, as I mentioned in my goals for this year, so I’m keeping all the positives in mind.